- In Myanmar, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation (MONREC) is empowered by the State to manage forest resources in a sustainable manner. Under MONREC, the Forest Department is mainly responsible for the management of the forest resources while the Myanma Timber Enterprise takes responsibility of timber extraction, milling and marketing in compliance with the existing laws, rules and regulations.
- Private operators purchase legal timbers from the Myanma Timber Enterprise, process and export them in accordance with the existing laws, rules and regulations.
- In order for international timber trade, the Forest Department, the Myanma Timber Enterprise, the Department of Trade and the Myanmar Customs Department provide the following fourteen documents to each timber consignment to verify the legality of timber extracted and exported in line with the existing laws, rules and regulations of Myanmar:
|(a)||Receipt of logs at private log yard||Forest Department|
|(b)||Permit to process timber||Forest Department|
|(c)||Outturn percentage approval||Forest Department|
|(d)||Certificate of legality of timber products||Forest Department|
|(e)||Specification||Myanma Timber Enterprise|
|(f)||Sale Contract||Myanma Timber Enterprise|
|(g)||Commercial Invoice||Myanma Timber Enterprise|
|(h)||Delivery Order||Myanma Timber Enterprise|
|(i)||Advanced Information for Parcel Transfer||Myanma Timber Enterprise|
|(j)||Reference for Parcel Transfer||Myanma Timber Enterprise|
|(k)||Purchase Confirmation Letter||Myanma Timber Enterprise|
|(l)||Certified Letter for Source of Origin||Myanma Timber Enterprise|
|(m)||Export License||Department of Trade|
|(n)||Export Declaration||Myanmar Customs Department|
- In 2018, “Myanmar Timber Chain of Custody: Process, Documents and Actors” had been published transparently for the public and international timber traders to realize the legal timber extraction, milling and marketing process of Myanmar.
- For more detailed information, buyers can contact Joint Focal Group-JFG via firstname.lastname@example.org and can also visit the websites of the Forest Department, the Myanma Timber Enterprise, the Myanmar Timber Certification Committee, the Department of Trade and the Myanmar Customs Department.
- Therefore, we hereby declare that the timbers exported from Myanmar are legal timbers if the fourteen documents mentioned in paragraph (3) can be exhibited.
Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation